Tuesday, December 5, 2017

588 Days Saved - A Walk with Christ 
-Hand Up not a Hand Out-
Behold I send you forward as sheep in the midst of wolves. Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matthew 10:16 

I'm gonna be quite real here and share about the experience I had helping the homeless family. After I dropped them off at the hotel I said I would return with some food for them in 10 minutes. A half hour later they never came down to get the food. That night me and my husband didn't sleep much. We were worried about things such as miscellaneous things put on my credit card or the room getting trashed. The next morning I went to check on them and everything was fine. 
This was something the Lord put on my heart to do but it also was a good learning experience. It made me realize that for some this kind of help offered can actually just enable them more to keep in the cycle of addiction and homelessness. Did I just give them a cozy place to do drugs?  We will never know but it's important to always be gentle as a dove but wise as a serpent. 
The Challenge: 

Offer the homeless water, food, education, prayer, guidance and warm clothes. It's important that we don't just give a hand out but instead a hand up! Get them closer to good goals instead of enabling them into possible addictive cycles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment